Thursday, March 11, 2010

Portrait Inspiration


I adore this portrait of Evelyn Nesbit by Gertrude Kasebier. Like I said, I've been doing a lot of portraiture research and one of the people I came across and fell in love with was her. I recently visited UCF, the first FL college campus I had ever visited btw, and I spent a good deal of time in the library looking at portraiture books (lol I know I'm such a photo nerd...) But while I looked I found myself engrossed in one particular book called Karsh: The Art of the Portrait. pretty straightforward, but it was pretty much the answer to every question I had about portraiture (aside from the answers Frank gave me) and I wrote down a couple of other photographers mentioned that I liked, including Gertrude.
Anyways, this portrait is pretty much the epitome of what I want from my portraits. The woman is relaxed and not playing for the camera. She is letting down her public mask. She seems tired, but it is known that she is tired by her expression. You can tell she is comfortable because of her slouching position, but it is also inviting, as if she is used to using her body to invite others in. She is young, but seems experience. So much you can tell from this portrait, that is what I want from mine. Hopefully I can find a way to get this out of my models. For now, I'll just keep researching until I can get back into the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment