Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Springtime Catch Up

Alrighty, soooo I've slacked. A lot. lol. This is basically a little catch up on what I got up to after spring break. Honestly... there wasn't much going on in terms of photography. I was really involved with a huge show that our school puts on every year called International Gala and photography kind of took a backseat. Or rather, I should say my portraiture took a backseat... there was a lot of photography involved in the show haha. Anywho, back to what this blog is all about. I think I'll post these photos on separate posts since I think each category at least deserves that much considering it is now the middle of summer.

I ended the year learning a lot about what I like and don't like about portraiture. Even though I went through one of the biggest artists blocks I've seen in a while I ended up with some good material, one photo shoot in particular was the best I'd had the entire year. I also realized that I suck at photographing guys. That's something I really want to work on this coming year because I won't be able to grow as a photographer staying within my comfort zone and just photographing girls, even though I find them way more photogenic. That is another thing I want to work on next year, getting out of my comfort zone. I have a lot of ideas about how to go about doing that, but I also need a lot of guidance because I find it's a very thin line between portraits that I think are unique and genuine and portraits that are cliche and over the top. I've been constantly looking at photographers online and doing research, filing photos away for inspiration. I haven't really been doing much this summer in terms of photography and it's hard to explain why not. I guess it's mostly because I don't like where I live and it's hard to photograph my friends here since they don't see me as a studio photographer. That's not much of an excuse though, soooo I worked on it a bit this past weekend and got some good photos. I will post those when I get the chance.

So without further ado: the spring

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking about posting my new stuff soon too, haha - except then I keep putting it off. anyways - ahhh I want to see your new photos! I think where you live is wonderful or what I know of it at least, haha. you should go to the beach and take pictures! I want to do that but I'm scared to get sand in my camera :( I'm paranoid all around. but I can't wait to see everything you do next semester, since we will be in the same class - yay! :) hopefully you can find more photogenic guys, I'm not sure if I really know any - haha. but I'm sure you will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete