Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dance

This semester I started out with an elaborate plan to photograph dancers. I got the idea after taking some black and white silhouette photographs of my friend Hadley in dance-like poses for our painting class. I fully researched it, looking at different dance photographers, different lighting techniques, and poured over many, many dance photos. I found this photographer, Ed Flores, who does dance photography EXACTLY how I wanted to capture it, it was just a matter of getting people, places, and clothing... So, I had some of my dancer friends lined up, first was one of my suite-mates, and I had everything figured out, or so I thought. I did actually START the project. I got Lex in the studio, then after talking to Stephen about different spaces, I took her out of the studio... and that's kind of where it tapered off. It's not that I didn't like what I was doing, it's more that I didn't have the same fire for it that I did for the eye project. I do want to keep working on the dance thing because I didn't get anywhere close to where I wanted to be with my photos so far, but as a break I think I will be going in a different direction with the rest of the semester in terms of portraiture. I will get to that in another post, but for now, here is the development of the dance photos so far... mind you, they aren't even CLOSE to what I had envisioned originally; and hopefully they will get closer in the future if I decide to come back to it.











No comments:

Post a Comment