Sunday, September 5, 2010

Balance

So now that it's finally the start of a new semester I'm anxious to get going with my portraiture, however no matter how excited I get to start I continue to feel apprehensive about actually grabbing whoever I need and picking up my camera. Obviously the start of class critiques will force me to jump into my work regardless of my apprehension; but what is really holding me back, despite my countless hours of preparation in terms of research, is the question of BALANCE.

The more I think about how I want to portray my subjects, the more I find myself scared to cross the lines between honest portraiture, over-pretentious glamour shots, and boring/already been done pictures of a person. I, more than anything, want to capture the most honest portrait possible when shooting my subjects, and I know I'm capable of catching that moment; but in my constant search for inspiration I always manage to find, more often then not, silly attempts at serious portraits and over-serious photos of a subject who isn't serious at all.

My goal this year is to portray my subjects in a way that accentuates their most unique characteristics, the things I find most beautiful about them. I'm terrified, though, that I won't be able to keep the balance between a simple portrait displaying the beauty of my subject and a lame attempt at isolating the things I want portrayed. I want to be more focused on my subject and who they are then what I'm doing with the light or how I'm holding my camera, which is why I don't plan on using the studio at all this semester. I'm hoping that by using my own locations and not having total control over my environment I can worry less about what the environment is doing and more how it's affecting my subject.

My struggle, I know, will be keeping it simple and making sure I know what I want from my subjects. I think the more prepared I am going into my sessions and the more knowledgeable I am about the tools I'm using, the better my photos will be and I really hope I can do justice to the beautiful ladies I will be photographing.

2 comments:

  1. Ladies only? Really? After reading your discourse above, me thinks you are on the right track. Don't over think it, but just let it happen. Let the people be themselves, rather than you making them into something they are not. Can't wait to see....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know, I want to photograph a couple guys maybe this semester to see what I can do with them, but I have a specific project in mind, which I totally can incorporate guys, I just want to do the ladies first so I can get the hang of what I want before venturing into a more unknown realm.

    I'm totally over-thinking everything haha that's what I do, but once I start I think I'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete